Senior Police Officer Troy Gilliam
and K-9 Nero
Senior Police Officer Cody Maresh
and K-9 Cirix
The VPD K-9 Unit started with one K-9 and his handler in 1992. The first K-9, “Brix,” was personally owned by one of the officers and served through 1993. Eleven K-9s have served the VPD over all these years. During this time, the VPD K-9’s have included six German Shepherds and five Belgian Malinois.
Currently there are two K-9s working for the VPD and both are Belgian Malinois. The two K-9s began serving with their handlers in November 2015. They are “Nero” who is teamed up with SPO Troy Gilliam and “Cirix” who works with his handler, SPO Cody Maresh.
The VPD thanks the Victoria 100 Club for the purchase of “Nero” and we also thank the Victoria County District Attorney’s Office for providing “Cirix” through criminal forfeiture funds.
The VPD K-9s and their handlers have a wide variety of duties including but not limited to:
- Subject to 24 hour callout
- Conduct building searches for offenders in hiding;
- Assist in the arrest or prevent the escape of serious or violent offenders;
- Protect officers or others from death or serious bodily injury;
- Area searches to locate suspects or lost or missing persons;
- Detection of hidden instruments or evidence of a crime;
- Detect the presence of narcotics;
- Establish probable cause for a search warrant;
- Assist with the execution of a search warrant;
- Community relations / policing demonstrations for the public;
- Searches prior to special events on school campus.
- 2015 - K-9 Cirix Swearing In
Contains 17 Photo(s)
- 2015 - K-9 Nero Swearing In
Contains 24 Photo(s)
- All VPD K-9s from Current to Past
Contains 16 Photo(s)
- K-9 Baco and Robby Swearing In - 2010
Contains 20 Photo(s)
- Retirement of K-9 Baco - 2015
Contains 14 Photo(s)
- VPD K-9 Miscellaneous Pics
Contains 39 Photo(s)