Requests & Holds
Victoria Public Library
If you would like to borrow an item that is checked out, a hold can be placed on that item. When the item is returned to the library you will be notified by phone or mail that the item is available for you to check out. Items can be placed on hold at the Information Desk, by phone, or through My Account.
Not @ VPL? Request It
Request an item the Victoria Public Library does not own through Interlibrary Loan (ILL). Through ILL, you can borrow books, audiobooks, CDs, DVDs and acquire photocopies of magazine and journal articles. We request the item(s) from other libraries and institutions in Texas and throughout the United States.
- Requests: ILL requests can be placed at the Information desk, by phone, or online.
Waiting time varies from 2 to 5 weeks depending on the availability of materials.
There are certain items that can NOT be requested, Ex: rare or fragile materials, items that have been published less than 6 months from the requested date and requests that violate copyright limitations.
- Pick-up: Once available, you will receive an automated call. Items are held at the Circulation desk. Items not picked up after 7 days will be returned.
- Loan Periods: The loan period is at the discretion of the lending library, but is generally 3 weeks.
- Renewals: ILL items are not available for renewal.
- Fines/Fees: The patron is responsible for any overdue fines and lost/damaged ILL material.
Victoria Public Library welcomes purchase suggestions from library users. If you have looked in the library catalog for a particular item, and VPL does not own it, you may suggest that we purchase it for the collection. While we may not be able to acquire every item, your suggestion will be reviewed and considered. Use the Suggest a Purchase form to submit your request.