Victoria Public Library welcomes your donated books, audio books, movies, music, and magazines. Your donation will be added to the Library's collection or sold at Friends of the Library book sales to help enhance our programs and services.
We will accept:
- Hardcover or paperback books in good condition
- Clean items with evidence of gentle use
- Commercially published media (e.g., CDs, DVDs, audiobooks, videogames)
- Current editions of magazines
We CANNOT accept:
- Items with visible signs of damage; soiled, broken bindings, missing pages, excessive writing, yellowing, smoke or water damage or infested with insects
- Outdated materials (see limits below)
- Non-commercially published media
- Toys, games, puzzles or artwork
- Periodicals or magazines (bound or unbound) older than 2 years
- Professional or academic journals
- Workbooks or study guides that have been filled (in part or whole)
- Computer software
- Boxes donated directly from long term storage. We cannot accept items that have not been carefully inspected by the donor.
- Large quantities of items not in boxes or containers. Due to logistical constraints, we cannot accept loose material.
We will accept certain materials within specified limits:
- Consumer guides and almanacs (current only)
- Medical and financial advice books (less than 5 years old)
- Travel guidebooks (less than 5 years old)
- Computer manuals (less than 5 years old)
- Textbooks (less than 10 years old)
- Test preparation guides (less than 5 years old)
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do I go to donate my books and other items?
- Please bring donations of books to the library, during regular hours of operation.
- For assistance with larger donations, stop by the Administrative office or call (361) 485-3304 to schedule an appointment.
- We may not be able to accept excessively large donations such as a “truck load.” Also, once our inventory needs have been met, we may decline to accept donations.
How much can I claim as a charitable donation?
- We do not determine the value of the donation. A letter can be provided designating how many paperbacks and hardbacks were donated.
What happens to the items I donate?
- Depending on the quality and condition of donated items, they will be; put into the general collection of the library, put into our book sale, or given away.