PHOTO #1: A girl reads to a Pet Partners therapy dog during the Victoria Public Library Summer Kickoff Celebration in 2022.
Readers of all ages are invited to the Victoria Public Library Summer Kickoff Celebration to get warmed up for a fun-filled summer of reading and activities.
The kickoff will be 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. June 3 at the Victoria Public Library. City departments, local nonprofits and businesses will provide games and activities. The event will also include live performances from community groups in the library’s Bronte Room.
Fun for kids
PHOTO #2: Zumba instructors with the YMCA of the Golden Crescent lead a Zumba dance workout in the Victoria Public Library’s Bronte Room during the Victoria Public Library Summer Kickoff Celebration in 2022.
This year, the children’s summer reading program includes a “chapter book challenge” and a “picture book challenge” to engage all types of readers. Kids can check off a box in their reading logs by reading a single picture book or by reading a chapter book for 15 minutes.
The library has increased its partnerships with outside businesses and nonprofits to offer more children’s events this summer. Events are based on five themes that address different interests and developmental needs:
- Wonder: Performances and other events that spark excitement or awe
- Engagement: Events that engage the mind and body with music, movement and more
- Creativity: Events that foster creative self-expression, such as art and dance
- Discover: Science-themed events that help kids understand the world
- Inbetweeners: Events for older children, ages 10-18.
Fun for adults
PHOTO #3: Victoria Public Library assistant Lillian Freeman provides information about the library’s adult summer reading program during the library’s Summer Kickoff Celebration in 2022.
Adults can earn raffle tickets by reading books or by attending any library summer event. Reading four books or attending one event counts as an entry into the prize drawing.
To get credit for a book, adult readers will have to write a short review to let others know whether they recommend the book. The library will create a book display at the end of the summer based on residents’ recommendations.
In addition to the library’s usual event programming for adults, the library is adding some more events to give adults a chance to create and socialize this summer:
- Adult Lego Night: June 14 and July 5 at 6 p.m.
- Color Me Calm: Fridays at 10:30 a.m. (3 p.m. on June 16 and July 21)
- Amazing Race – Library Edition: June 21 at 7 p.m.
- Live-Action Clue – Library Edition: July 19 at 7 p.m.
To learn more about the Victoria Public Library and to view a calendar of upcoming events, visit www.victoriatx.gov/library.
View the summer event schedules for kids and adults