PHOTO: The City of Victoria and Flow Paddle Co hosted the Riverside Row on Sept. 24 in Riverside Park. Shown from left are third-place winner Daniel Lozado; first-place winner Joe Luna; Ashley Magee, Flow Paddle Co; Sports Tourism Manager Michelle Myers; and Coastal Bend Paddlers Vic Kocian, Mark Oberle and Joe Kocian.
The City of Victoria and Flow Paddle Co partnered to host the first Riverside Row, a river race with an environmentally conscious twist, on Sept. 24 in Riverside Park.
As part of the race, rowers were able to collect trash from the river to have minutes deducted from their total racing time.
Fifteen rowers competed in the race, picking up 12 bags of trash along with other bulky items.
- First place: Joe Luna, Victoria resident
- Second place: Rick Hayley, Corpus Christi resident
- Third place: Daniel Lozado, Victoria resident
- First place tandem (adult): Alexandra Spiegleman and Allie Upton, Victoria residents
- First place tandem (adult/child): Assistant City Manager Mike Etienne and Ian Etienne
- Most trash collected: Vic Kocian, Mark Oberle and Joe Kocian, Coastal Bend Paddlers
The event organizers hope to host the event annually.
To learn more about Parks & Recreation events and programs, visit www.victoriatx.gov/parks.