- Residents may call in two large item collections up to 6 cubic yards (4 feet by 4 feet by 10 feet) per year with no additional charges.
- An additional charge of $1.50 a minute may apply if the pile is over 6 cubic yards.
- Residents may have more than two large item collections a year at the rate of $20 service fee plus $1.50 per minute per additional collection.
- Appointments may be made by calling the Solid Waste office at 361-485-3220 or by scheduling a pick up online If you schedule online and approve charges for a large item collection, you will receive a phone call letting you know when to place your items at the curb.
- Large item collections are done Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.
Vacant lots or unoccupied residential homes that are not currently billed for services are not eligible for large-item collections.
Important Reminders For Large Item Collection
Large items may not be placed at the curb for longer than 48 hours before the trucks are in your scheduled service area. If items are left at the curb for longer than 48 hours, your items will be tagged and your address turned over to Code Enforcement who will then open a case for your address.
To avoid this, we stress to all residence to contact the Solid Waste Division before placing any large items or tree limbs at the curb for collection.
When placing large items out, they must be placed at the curb and not in the street.
Examples of Large Items
Large items include items that you need to dispose of, but won’t fit inside your gray, City-issued cart.
Examples of these items include:
- Appliances with Freon: Refrigerators or AC units must have the refrigerant (Freon) professionally removed before collection. You will get a sticker to place on the item once the refrigerant has been removed. The sticker must be on the item and visible for the item to be collected at the curb.
- Coffee tables
- Large Appliances without Freon:
- Hot water heater
- Minor Construction Debris: No more than 2 cubic yards of non-toxic Asbestos-free materials such as:
- Fencing planks
- House siding
- Ice chests
- Large children’s toys
- Large packing material
Glass Items: Be sure all glass items are either taped down or broken into smaller pieces and packaged inside of a box for safe, effective collection.
Tires: No more than 4 tires may be collected at one time. Tires must be separated from the rim in order to be accepted as a large item collection.
Hazardous Waste: Hazardous waste may not be collected as a large item. Examples of hazardous waste include:
- Car batteries
- Motor oil
- Other related materials
If in doubt, please call our office.