Crashes Investigated by the Victoria Police Department:
Click HERE at POLICEREPORTS.US for information on motor vehicle crashes that have been investigated by the Victoria Police Department. The crash reports may be purchased online for $8.50 at POLICEREPORTS.US or for $6.00 if purchased in person at the Victoria Police Department Records Section which is in the City Hall Building at 105 W. Juan Linn Street in downtown Victoria.
Crash Report Code Sheet:
The Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT) uses various forms to report motor vehicle crashes. Much of the information on these forms is translated into codes. Click this link to view or print a copy of the code sheet.
Crashes Not Investigated by VPD:
If you were involved in an accident, including a private property accident that was NOT investigated by an officer, you will need to download and complete a Texas Driver's Crash Report (CR-2). That form can be found CLICKING HERE. This is a TXDOT form; however, it is for your records and not sent to TXDOT. The instructions are on the form.
The VPD has implemented a new policy regarding how motor vehicle crashes are handled. Beginning in April of 2013, VPD officers no longer respond to a motor vehicle crash where there are no injuries and where the vehicles involved are able to be driven away from the scene (minor crashes). Officers will still respond if there is a criminal act involved such as a hit and run or an intoxicated driver.
This change was needed in an effort to be more effective and efficient with the resources of our department. This will allow officers to respond to higher priority calls.
The parties involved in a crash that is not investigated by law enforcement are responsible for completing the TXDOT CR-2 form for their own records. There are specific instructions on the form explaining the process. That form can be found CLICKING HERE.
The information listed below should be obtained in order to complete the TXDOT CR-2 form:
- BLOCK NUMBER AND STREET / INTERSECTING STREET AND BLOCK NUMBER. SPEED LIMIT.
- OTHER VEHICLE INFORMATION (Section heading on the CR-2 form)
• MAKE, MODEL AND YEAR OF VEHICLE
• LICENSE PLATE NUMBER AND STATE
• VIN NUMBER-on driver’s side of dashboard, look through windshield from outside looking in
- OTHER DRIVER INFORMATION (Section heading on the CR-2 form)
• NAME, ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBER, DRIVER’S LICENSE NUMBER AND STATE
- INSURANCE INFORMATION
• INSURANCE COMPANY NAME AND ADDRESS (NOT Agent name)
• POLICY NUMBER
• CLAIM PHONE NUMBER AND/OR AGENT PHONE NUMBER
Other Questions / Answers:
- What if you are in a crash and the other driver: is uninsured, has no driver’s license, is intoxicated, tries to leave the scene or is uncooperative and refuses to exchange information?
In the event that you encounter any of the above listed issues, please call us and an officer will respond to the scene to assist you.
- What if the other driver does not speak English or cannot read or write?
Again, please contact us and an officer will respond to assist you.
- What if your insurance company says they need a report for the crash?
The CR-2 Crash Report form will serve this purpose and should be provided to the insurance company.
- What if you don’t have access to a printer to print off the CR-2 Crash Report form?
The CR-2 Crash Report forms can be obtained from the Victoria Police Department at 306 S. Bridge St. or at the VPD Crime Prevention Unit located in Victoria Mall next to Sears. The forms at the Crime Prevention Unit can be located on the brochure rack next to the office entrance, and are marked as “Crash Report Forms.”