|Address:||101 N. Main St.
Victoria, TX 77901
|Hours:||6am - 11pm|
|Notes:||Alcohol prohibited - unless permit issued
by Parks & Recreation Staff
(see Sec. 17-7 of City Code)
Gazebo Rental Information
$50.00 3 hr increments
$75.00 All Day
$150.00 Special Event Rental with a $500.00 deposit
Twelve lights around the square are part of what is officially know as the "Memorial White Way." Similar light poles are located on the City Hall Square.
Some time shortly after World War 1, or in early 1919, a movement was started to raise funds to purchase and install some type of lights as memorials to pioneer Victoria businessmen. In addition to honoring these early residents, the lights would be added attractions to the small city parks.
By 1923, the required funds were raised, and the lights were purchased and erected.
The lights on DeLeon Plaza have metal brackets near the top to hold four flower pots. These were a gift for Mr. Leopold Morris as a memorial to his eldest daughter, the late Mrs. Harold (Virginia) Johnston.
There are 6 different species of trees on the Plaza, Live Oak, Elm, Pecan, Ash, Magnolias, and Redwood.
The first structure built for musicians to perform was built in the early 1870's as an open-air roofless platform near the corner of Bridge and Constitution.
In 1899, the members of Wagner's Brass Band requested that the stand be rebuilt with a roof and moved to a site on the Constitution Street side just west of the present Confederate Monument. Here it stood until 1923 when the standpipe was dismantled and the building was again moved and placed on the large concrete standpipe foundation where it has stood for 49 years.
In 1962, the Band Stand was completely restored by Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Pickering.
On March 24, 1987, the location was entered into the National Register of Historical Places.
The little drinking fountain on the East Side, adjacent to Main, is a memorial to E. L. Dunlap, Sr. and was a gift from Victoria Civic Association.
The Six Flags Monument, which sits on the corner of Main and Constitution, was dedicated on April 14, 1962, to the "Explorers, Founders, and Colonists of Victoria." Located here are the Six Flags which have flown over Texas and a large three-panel granite dedication plaque.
The Confederate Monument is located on the corner of Main and Constitution. The bigger than life statue of a "Soldier of the Confederate States of America," was dedicated by the William P. Rogers, Victoria Chapter of the Daughters of the Confederacy, on June 3, 1912.
Time Capsule (placed in 1986)