The City of Victoria Citizens Academy is a free, nine-week program designed to help Victoria residents learn about their city government. The course is a series of presentations, tours and demonstrations by city departments. These presentations cover the basic departmental functions and goals. The presentations are followed by a Q & A session. A meal and drink are provided at each session.
The 2017 Citizens Academy will be held January 5 to March 2, 2017 on consecutive Thursday evenings from 6 pm – 8:30 pm. Most Citizens Academy sessions will be held in Room 205 at 700 Main Center. Other sessions will be held at city facilities including the Victoria Public Library, the Surface Water Treatment Plant, Police headquarters, Emergency Operations Center and the Fire Training Facility. Participants will also have an opportunity to attend a City Council meeting.
- Meet department heads and staff
- Learn how decisions are made, how city funds are allocated and how departments operate
- Enjoy comprehensive overviews of departments and programs and services
- Discover the current status and future plans for Victoria’s development, infrastructure, library, emergency response services, recreation, tourism, the environment and other topics
- Participate in lively discussions and interactive activities
- Tour city facilities
- Become an informed, involved citizen
How to Apply
The academy is free to Victoria residents 21 years and older. We accept up to 20 citizens as academy participants. Any residents interested in learning about city operations or who have expressed opinions about city services, operations or governing are invited to attend. Call 361-485-3110 today for information.